When shopping online, whether it’s shopping on some of the cheapest shopping websites, or the best shopping websites for clothes, after adding products to your shopping cart and proceeding to place an order, there’ll always be an issue with our payments because our debit card has been declined. And this often happens when we shop on foreign websites, sometimes even on apps with payment gateways, most Nigerian debit cards are rejected: Virtual Dollar Cards
Why is that so? It’s important to know that there have been limitations to how much you can spend on your Nigerian debit card. “The new applicable limit on your Naira card is $100 (or it’s equivalent in other foreign currencies) monthly effective August 21, 2020, via .
In most cases, the solution to this problem is getting a ‘Dollar Virtual Card’ because most Nigerian Debit Cards are Naira-based. But with the help of Digital Banking, getting a Virtual Credit Card has been made easy and now you can easily request one.
I’ll be listing the best virtual dollar card providers in Nigeria, and with these cards, you’ll be able to make payments online while shopping, and having a virtual card is way better than having a physical card at times. These virtual cards are funded in USD and you can fund them by simply sending naira into your virtual card account.
List of the Best Platforms and Apps to Get Virtual Dollar Cards in Nigeria
Gomoney is a digital bank in Nigeria, and it’s one of the few Virtual Credit Card providers in Nigeria that makes payment easier for business owners and people who want to make purchases on foreign websites. With Gomoney you can send and receive money easily in Nigeria. And getting a Gomoney virtual card is very much easy and you can do that by opening an account with them and upgrading it to level 2.
With your Gomoney virtual card, you can link it to your Paypal account, you can make payments with it in USD and you can also use it to make local payments here in Nigeria, you can download the Gomoney app on your Android and iOS via the app icon shown below. Gomoney virtual card is one of the best virtual credit cards in Nigeria.
How to Get a Gomoney Virtual Dollar Card
- Download the Gomoney app on your Android or iOS device.
- Register using your phone number then confirm the OTP code.
- After confirming the OTP code, verify your BVN by inputting your BVN and confirming the code sent to your BVN registered number.
- Now to get a Gomoney dollar card, you must upgrade your account to level 2, and you can do that easily by submitting a valid means of identification.
2. ALAT By Wema
ALAT has been around for a while and it’s owned by Wema Bank, It’s a fully established digital bank in Nigeria that makes payment easy for everyone, with ALAT, you don’t have to worry about visiting a bank before you can have an account or even sort payments between other parties. With ALAT virtual dollar card, you can make payments easily on Uber, Netflix, Spotify, Google Play, Apple Music, Asos, Google, Facebook and so on. You will also be charged a monthly card maintenance fee of 525 naira on each card created after your first virtual card.
Getting an ALAT card is very easy, but it requires some vital information and without that information, you won’t be given a virtual credit card. ALAT By Wema has one of the cheapest virtual cards in Nigeria, and you can easily fund the card with Naira.
How to Get an ALAT Virtual Dollar Card
- Visit https://alat.ng or Download the ALAT by Wema mobile application on Play Store or Apple Store via the buttons above.
- Create an account and log in to your account.
- On the homepage, select “Card” below.
- Click on ‘ALAT Virtual Dollar Cards’ and enter your PIN.
- Next, click on ‘Create Dollar Card’ to create a new card (the Naira to Dollar exchange rate will be revealed).
- Fill in the necessary information and proceed.
3. Barter By Flutterwave
Barter is a virtual card created by Flutterwave for its users and for every Nigerian to have the chance to make payments online effortlessly. Having a Barter virtual card will allow you to make payments on websites where your physical card is being rejected. You can pay in dollars with Barter and funding it is very easy. You can fund your Barter Card using Naira and you can also link your physical card with it. The monthly maintenance fee for each card is $1, this is regardless of whether or not the card is active.
Using a Barter virtual credit card will allow you to make payments easily on websites and apps and you only need to fund the card. Getting a Barter card is very easy, you only need to download the Barter app, sign up and verify using your BVN
How to Get a Barter Virtual Dollar Card
- Download the Barter app via the app
- Signup using your BVN and verify the OTP code sent to your phone number.
- Add money to your barter account.
- Create a new Dollar Card.
- Fund your dollar virtual card.
4. Wallets Africa
Wallets Africa is just like every other digital bank in Nigeria that gives you the full functions of an effortless transaction. It makes sending and receiving money in Nigeria very easy and it also makes bill payments an easy thing to do. You can get a naira and a dollar virtual card from Wallets Africa and both cards can be used to make payments online. Wallets Africa virtual credit cards can be used on different websites and apps.
If you find payments on Netflix a bit difficult, you can use Wallets Africa Visa card to make your payments. Wallets Africa card offers swift payments online, you can easily send money to business associates with Wallets Africa. It’s one of the best virtual credit cards out there in Nigeria.
Wallets Africa – Seamless Digital Transactions
How to Get a Wallets Africa Virtual Dollar Card
- Download the Wallets Africa app.
- Register for an account and verify with necessary details.
- Fund your account.
- Tap on cards to create a new virtual card.
- Fund your virtual card and begin to spend with it.
Eversend is a digital banking app that makes banking easy and stress-free due to its flexibility in getting money moved across borders. With this app, you can make payments easily from your comfort zone and it offers more than one feature, you can make bill payments within seconds, you can send and receive money instantly and it also offers a dollar virtual card that’ll allow you to make payments on foreign websites and apps. Cards will cost $1 to create and have a $1 monthly maintenance fee.
Eversend offers a visa dollar debit card that can be used to make payments on websites like AliExpress, Amazon and many more and you can also use it to make subscriptions on Netflix and other apps out there. Eversend offers one of the best virtual dollar cards in Nigeria.
How to Get an Eversend Virtual Dollar Card
- Download the Eversend app and create an account.
- Verify with required details.
- Tap Cards at the bottom of the app on the homepage to create a new card.
- Enter the maximum amount you want the card to hold. The minimum amount required to create a card is $1.
- Enter your PIN to confirm the transaction.
- Fund your virtual card by using the add money feature in the apps.
Buying goods and/or services can be very frustrating especially knowing there are limitations to what you can spend if you’re using a Nigerian debit or credit card. The CBN placed a limit of $100 on naira cards making it extremely difficult to carry out payment on websites that charge in USD (or its equivalent in foreign currencies). Understanding the benefits you get when you acquire any of these virtual dollar cards above breaks the barrier the government have put in place. That said, kindly share with us your experience if you’ve tried making a payment with any of these virtual dollar card providers above